The Winchester terminal serves Winchester Public Schools. It is one of 18 school transportation locations that All-Star Transportation operates in Connecticut. All-Star began providing transportation for the Winchester area in 2015 and transports more than 400 Winchester students daily during the school year.
Safety is central to All-Star’s mission. Our drivers are licensed and rigorously trained. Our buses meet the highest maintenance standards, and each bus undergoes a safety inspection by the driver before every trip that it makes. For example, the brakes, lights, emergency exits and more are among the features checked on every bus before students are picked up in the morning, and many of the same items are checked again before students are picked up from school.
To further ensure the safety of students, rules and regulations have been put in place. Our drivers learn these rules during training and they enforce them. Parents and students also have a critical role, and it’s important that they also read the rules and regulations to learn what’s expected of them. Parents and students should review this information in preparation for the first day of school and refer to it throughout the school year.
Serving: Winchester (Winsted)
Address: 177 Rowley Street, Winchester, CT 06098
Phone: (860) 379-0020
Fax: (860) 379-9192
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 6 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Manager: Michelle Marquis
Safety Supervisor: Tammy Gunning
The school bus routes for Winchester Schools are listed under the school that your student will be attending. You can find bus routes here.
NOTE: The time for each bus route is the approximate time the bus will make its first pickup in the morning. Adjustments will be made as necessary and as soon as possible. Students should be at their stops 5-10 minutes before the time listed on the bus route. The stop times can vary 5-10 minutes either way, depending on traffic, weather and the number of students riding the bus.
Please do not worry if a bus is late, especially at the start of a school year when it typically takes a few days for kindergarten children and new students to become accustomed to the bus routes and schedules. If, however, you have concerns about your bus being consistently late over a period of several days, please contact the Winchester office at 860-379-0020.
It is important that students remember to stand at least 10 feet from the road and not move toward the bus until the bus driver nods his or her head signaling that it is safe to board the bus.
School Bell Times:
The Gilbert School – 7:45 a.m. – 2:29 p.m.
Batcheller Early Education Center – 8:35 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.
Pearson School – 8:35 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.
The Gilbert School – 9:45 a.m.
Batcheller Early Education Center – 10:45 a.m.
Pearson School – 10:45 a.m.
The Gilbert School – 12:29 p.m.
Batcheller Early Education Center – 1:10 p.m.
Pearson School – 1:10 p.m.
If Winchester schools are closed, there is no bus to Oliver Wolcott. If Winchester has a two-hour delay and Oliver Wolcott does not, buses to OWT will operate on a two-hour delay.
If Winchester has a scheduled day off, buses for OWT students operate as normal.
Oliver Wolcott students are provided a shuttle service from Winchester. Oliver Wolcott students from the outskirts of Winchester are shuttled to Pearson School for transfer to Oliver Wolcott. Students from the center of Winchester meet bus 308 at designated stops. In the afternoon, students are shuttled from Oliver Wolcott on bus 308 to the Gilbert School where they transfer onto Gilbert buses to their designated stops.
The safety of students is the priority for All-Star Transportation. Picking children up in the morning to dropping them of in the afternoon. This policy for parents to be present at the bus stop for pick-ups and drop offs reinforces our concerns for safety.
Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, & First Grade
Parents are required to be present at the bus stop. If parents are not able to be present at the bus stop, drivers contact All-Star’s Winchester office, which then calls the appropriate school and so that a responsible adult can be authorized to substitute for the parents.
Parents are highly recommended to be present at the bus stop. If parents are not going to be present a note to Batcheller or Pearson School stating that the children are allowed to exit the bus without an adult present.
Parents are not required to be present at the bus stop. If you normally are present at the stop and are not able to be present, then a call to All-Star Transportation is required.
Here are some safety tips for parents to keep in mind.
The school bus is an extension of the classroom and students are expected to maintain behavior acceptable in a classroom setting. With that in mind, here are some important rules:
1. Students should be at their bus stop five minutes prior to their scheduled pickup time.
2. Students should stand back 10 to 15 feet from the road whenever possible.
3. Students should wait for the school bus to come to a complete stop and for the driver to nod his/her head before approaching the bus.
4. Children should never run after the bus as it pulls away as the driver may not see them.
5. If students need to cross in front of the bus, they should wait until the bus driver nods his/her head to signal it is safe to cross the street.
6. Students should cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus; if you can’t see the driver then the driver can’t see you.
7. If a student drops something in front of the bus, the student should leave the item where it fell until getting the driver’s attention and permission to retrieve the item.
8. No student should ever run towards / from the rear, alongside of a bus. A driver may not see a student in some danger zone blind spots.
9. Shout out to get the driver’s attention if you need them to remain stopped for any reason.
10. Be courteous, no profane language.
11. Do not eat or drink on the bus.
12. Keep the bus clean – put all litter in trash cans available on all buses.
13. Cooperate with the driver.
14. No smoking, including electronic cigarettes / vaping.
15. Do not destroy bus equipment / fixtures.
16. Remain seated until the bus is fully stopped.
17. Keep hands, heads and feet inside the bus.
18. The bus driver has the authority to assign seats.
19. Know the school bus danger zones.